The only thing I'm watching for this week will be the results of tonight's Community and Economic Development Committee meeting, scheduled for 5 pm. The committee's lone agenda item is approval of award recommendations for $63,000 worth of Community Development Block Grants. This money was set aside in the budget to be distributed among non-government organizations who work on public service and special needs housing.
The committee received six applications for a total requested amount of $144,000, and the current recommendation is that the money they have be distributed as follows:
- Emergency Shelter of the Fox Valley requested $15,000, will receive $10,000.
- Habitat for Humanity requested $48,000, will receive $15,000.
- Housing Partnership of the Fox Cities requested $26,000, will receive $13,000.
- Bethesda Thrift Shop and Ability Training Center requested $30,000, will receive $0.
- FISC Self Sufficiency Program requested $10,000, will receive $10,000.
- Harbor House Domestic Abuse Shelter requested $15,000, will receive $15,000.
This week's full schedule and meeting agendas can be found here.
Keeping you informed on issues that may impact you around the city is one of my primary goals as a candidate for and a potential member of Appleton's City Council. There's a lot going on and a lot of information out there, but I'm happy to do everything I can to make these decisions and the discussions around them as accessible as possible to as many people as are interested.